Monday, October 5, 2009

Remembering Clyde Woody

Clyde was a defense lawyer here forever. He died Saturday at 89.
Clyde was licensed in 1952 and for many years with his partner Mirian Rosen, they defended many tough cases. I don't know when Clyde stopped practicing but I haven't seen him for years.
I got to know him when I was a reporter for the Chronicle. We weren't that close but I had a lot of respect for him and the work he did.
Houston has one of the best criminal defense bars in the country. Over the years, giants like Percy Foreman, Will Gray and Clyde began that tradition. They worked with young lawyers like me (well, I was young once) but most important, they gave us something to shoot for.
Percy, Will and Clyde are all gone now and the youngsters they mentored are getting up in years. It's time we all stopped for a few minutes and remember the giants who made the Houston defense bar what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment