Sunday, August 23, 2009

Welcome to my blog

I've been practicing law for 19 years with Schneider & McKinney. And, I've had a good time.
Working with Stan Schneider and Troy McKinney is a real privilege and it can be a lot of fun. Stan and Troy are two of the best lawyers I know.
Before that, I spent 15 years as a reporter for the Houston Chronicle and a year as a reporter for the Midland Reporter-Telegram.
A few weeks ago, I wrote a short op-ed piece for the Chronicle about the arrest of Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates. I thought then and I still think he was arrested for contempt of cop, not the color of his skin.
I had forgotten what an ego trip it is to write something, then have a lot of people read it. So, I thought about blogging.
After Troy started his blog, Law4Lunch, I made up my mind that I should do it too.
I can't promise how often I will post. A lot depends on how much work I have and whether something sets me off.
One of the things I want to discuss is how the criminal justice system handles -- and abuses -- the mentally ill. It isn't anything malicious. It's simply a matter of no other organ of government has the ability to deal with them, so the criminal justice system gets the job by default.
And, I am sure I will write about the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia and the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda. When I do, you can bet there will be some unhappy people on New York, UN headquarters; The Hague, the site of the ICTY; and Arusha, Tanzania, where the ICTR is located. Especially Arusha.
So, while I work myself into a proper rage and compose my rants, I hope this blog will be thought provoking.
Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment